09 August, 2008

Things I'll Never Understand

Driving home tonight, I noticed the frothing Christian readerboard-on-a-cross flashing this message in two parts:

DON'T BE DECEIVED

GOD'S WRATH IS COMING


I laughed heartily at the first bit. "Don't be deceived" - great advice coming from a fundie church. Thanks for the warning! I'll be sure not to take a word you say seriously. Now, if only commercials could start with that message... but I digress.

The second bit just struck me as small and sad. What kind of sorry, pathetic human being do you have to be to salivate over this kind of gloom-and-doom crap? I just don't understand the mentality that gleefully anticipates (and actively prays for) their deity's imminent ass-kicking. I'll never understand the quivering, frightened mind that believes their god of love and light is going to beat the snot out of humanity for failing to live up to impossible and contradictory "orders."

You know what their god reminds me of? A horribly abusive father. Why the fuck would you worship an asshole like that?

As it stands, I'm an atheist. If the existence of this bastard is ever proved, I'll be damned proud to be an infidel.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you got the order wrong, and obviously they left a bit out, maybe space constraints, but I digress
it should read

God's Wrath is coming

Don't be Deceived

by Cheap Imitations.

Nicole said...

Maybe it was meant to be:

God's wrath is coming?

Don't be deceived!


And they just forgot the punctuation because they went to public schools in the U.S.

Cujo359 said...

Was it Nietzsche who said we create god in our image? Whoever it was, he probably had things like that billboard in mind.

Cobalt said...

I actually wrote an entry a while ago comparing the Judeo-Christian God to an abusive husband. Granted, I think this is because the spousal metaphor for God and his church only works with the really really old spousal relationships that used to be considered normal. Then it was totally okay for a man to tell his wife, "Baby why do you make me hurt you? You know I don't like doing it, but you just keep pissing me off! You gotta stop doing this to me, baby."