03 September, 2011

Caturday Geocat: Hand Sample Analysis

My poor beautiful hand samples from our Oregon trip are just sitting forlorn on the porch, waiting for me to come up with a permanent home for them. I'm afraid I may never get to properly house them, however. My cat has taken a definite interest.


We have this little ritual when I come home for lunch. She usually spends the time outside on the porch, hanging out on her carpet square whilst I scarf some food and catch up on Twitter. Then she greets me at the door as I head outside for a smoke. She follows me over to the lounge chair, where I sit and enjoy the last moments of freedom before heading back for another four hours of soul-sucking drudgery agonizing boredom work. She consents to a scratch behind the ears, and then ambles over and starts inspecting the rocks.


Here she's analyzing one of the platy volcanic bits (which may or may not be basalt or basaltic andesite, but that's a story for another day). It's one of the ones with dendrites on it. Once she gets done with those, she'll establish ownership over the rhyolite by rubbing her cheeks all over every piece she can reach. I have to watch her on that - they've got some glassy textures and sharp edges.

She'll look up occasionally, stare off into the distance like she's considering what she's just learned from her latest inspection.


Then she'll go back to her favorite sample, a frothy bit of basalt or basaltic andesite with quartz in.


She loves that rock the best. She curls up with it every time we're out there together. I'm surprised it's not coated in cat hair, considering how much she snuggles with it.


It'll be winter soon, and both rocks and kitteh will have to come in from the cold and rain. But for now, I think I'll leave her hand samples just as they are. This time we have together, me and her and the rocks, is precious.

I'm lucky to live with a cat who shares my love of geology and Doctor Who. I can forgive the occasional homicidal rages. We all have our little quirks, after all.

You've had your Caturday dose of cute. Time for something of substance. Both Lockwood and Cujo have written up bits of our recent trip. Cujo explains why geology is important, and Lockwood's done a more in-depth look at his teaser tweeting, a sexy take on the Pinnacles, and a dedication to the teacher who introduced him to many of the wonders we saw. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

It's funny how cats who claim us often share our passions and quirks, isn't it? Our cats have incredible fascination with paper and books. Azshara's favorite "toys" are the bits of paper I ball up and toss for her when I'm done with them.

Cujo359 said...

Turns out geology teaches us things not related to geology, too.

I keep waiting to see what LHB publishes, but she seems to be much better at research than at writing. We have that in common, she and I.