10 September, 2011

This Student Gives Me Hope

I don't know who she is, only what she has done. And what she has done is this: become a banned book library. When her school decided upon a list of things the kids absolutely must not read, due to parental outrage and a belief kids can be kept from great literature and harsh truths, she tested their limits by bringing in a copy of The Catcher in the Rye. When it caught the eye of a fellow student, she lent it out. And then things snowballed, and she now runs a clandestine locker-library full of banned books, which kids who had no interest in good books until they were forbidden to read them are now thoroughly enjoying.

Firstly, we have a young woman who's passionate about books. I already love her.

Secondly, we have a young woman who's not prepared to be told what she can and cannot read. Love kicks up a notch.

Thirdly, we have a young woman who's getting other young men and women reading intensely. Love shoots through the roof and becomes adoration.

I have news for parents and school authorities who believe they can shelter children from things they think are too awful for young minds: you'll fail. You have failed. You've always failed. Unless this was a very clever reverse-psychology ploy to get kids interested in books, in which case you've succeeded brilliantly. Bravo. A cunning plan - quite evocative of the way the potato was introduced to Greece.

Too bad I doubt the administration was that smart.

We jaded adults may believe kids these days are incapable of deep thought and literacy and scholarship, and we are so very, very wrong if we believe that. Look at this student. Look at what she and her fellow students are doing. Look at how much books matter to them. Enough to take not-inconsequential risks for. And they are smart enough and confident enough to decide what they can and cannot read, all for themselves, to hell with the naysayers.

I love this to pieces. It tells me that, despite rumors to the contrary, we're not raising a nation of apathetic know-nothings, although we've been trying very hard to do so. No, we've got a crop of brilliant, bold, and brave kids coming up, and the world will be better for them.

I just hope that once my books get published, they're summarily banned. I'd like to have this kind of readership. I want kids like this at my signings. Unleashing that wise, unruly literary mob upon the unsuspecting citizens of this increasingly stifled country would make me twelve kinds of happy, and prouder than I'll ever have words to express.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That school's administration is messed, the evolution of man, Quran, Canterbury Tales, Hitchhiker's Guide... I think the world is ending.