The Noble Nature
- It is not growing like a tree
- In bulk, doth make man better be;
- Or standing long an oak, three hundred year,
- To fall a log at last, dry, bald, and sear:
- A lily of a day
- Is fairer far in May,
- Although it fall and die that night,--
- It was the plant and flower of Light.
- In small proportions we just beauties see;
- And in short measures life may perfect be.
04 April, 2009
Poem o' the Day
Ben Jonson, contemporary of Shakespeare, lost his infant son. From that tragedy emerged one of the most beautiful poems about living and dying ever written. It seems appropriate now, with news of Andy Hallett's death: