17 July, 2010

Follow Me!

I've been dabbling my toeses in this Twitter thing, and you now have a prime opportunity to push me into the deep end.  Look to the left.  Look under "Alternate Dana."  You see that little "Follow Me" thingy?  Click there, and you, too, can become a follower!  But you'll also be a leader, because I'll probably end up following you, too.  See how awesome that is?

If all has gone well, FeedBurner should soon be posting updates to this blog on Twitter.  You'll know it's a new post because it'll say "Nuevo Verdad" and display a link.  That's if I've managed to figure out this new-fangled technology stuff.  Considering how addled my mind is after several days of cold medicine and severely reduced breathing ability, I may not have managed.

I'm also debating joining FaceBook because two or three friends are on my arse about it.  However, I'm not sure how I could do that and avoid having coworkers suck me into playing Mafia Wars with them.  FaceBook denizens with suggestions as to how to avoid that horrid fate, please share said suggestions in comments.

And I think that's quite enough babbling about social media for now.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

I'm on Facebook. I don't play games on it anymore. I barely have time to stalk....er, read about friends. It just depends on what you want to do and how much time you devote to it.

Woozle said...

I've often found myself thinking "Dana really should join Facebook!", and then thinking "wait a minute... that might be bad. Dana has work to do."

As I twitted to you earlier, I support my hypertwin in her avoidance of FB, despite significant family pressure (and the nuisance of being the one who has to relay stuff to/from other family members who *are* on FB)... by which I guess I mean to imply that there are valid reasons to avoid it, and I support anyone who choses to do so. It is an evil place in some ways, and we need something better.

I also maintain that it's possible to ignore Farmville, Mafia Wars, and all the other time-sinks people try to foist on you. You mainly just have to remember that because of the way the games propagate themselves, those same people who are supposedly "inviting" you, with sad puppy-dog eyes, may not actually be aware that they have done so. I've been on FB for a couple of years now, ignored dozens of invitations, and not even once has anyone said "hey, why didn't you accept the invitation I sent you?"

If you could replace MySpace with FB, I'd say it was a positive trade -- except I realize there are things you can do on MS that you can't on FB.

My solution, fwiw (especially along the lines of "we need something better"): working on my own social network, partly as a trial platform for InstaGov. Dunno if it'll be ready for alpha testing before the heat-death of the universe, but you'll be among the first to know if it is.