29 July, 2010

Oh, What a Night!

I didn't get a chance to post more than the picture, because I'd dragged one of the lovely Pharyngulites I'd met home and we were busy engaging in the kind of free-ranging geek discussion I haven't been able to enjoy since my dear friend Sean last came by (which was all too long ago, as we ended up on wildly different schedules).  Put it like this, my darlings: it's been a desperately long time since I've stayed up until 6 in the ay-em with a fellow creative person.  And that's all the excuse I've got for abandoning you lot.

Anywho, I was fortunate last night in that PZ and Ophelia were still at Pike Brewing Co. when I escaped work and hurried me arse down there.  My workplace, alas, does not understand how rare opportunities to see two of my favorite bloggers in one place at one time are.  I got about half an hour's worth of basking in Ophelia's presence.  Those of you who read her blog know she's a brilliant writer.  She's also brilliant in person.  I wish I'd had the opportunity to beg a photo with her, as that also would've put me closer within earshot.  Ah, well.  Another time, perhaps.

PZ's always a joy, of course.  He's one of those quiet-seeming, soft-spoken people with a rapier wit and lightsaber intelligence who can keep a conversation going without dominating it, which may surprise some folks who only know him from his blog.  I'd had the great good fortune to meet him years ago, when he was here giving a talk on evolution and we closed yet another Seattle bar afterward.

I don't often close bars, but when you understand the nature of the people he attracts, you understand why I'm willing to stay out late on a work night despite my homebody tendencies.  There are few groups who can slip seamlessly from satirical conversation on baby-eating (only free-range for us, thanks - we are ethical baby-eating atheists!), to the sad fact that so many people still don't understand "A Modest Proposal", somehow leaping to the women of Shakespeare's plays (which Ophelia can easily hold court on), to how society should deal with the threat that someone may someday be able to brew up a custom virus in their garage, and many other subjects besides.  And, while you can't see it in the photo, there was a plush squid involved.

I've ended up with several new friends, and stayed out far too late as so many of us couldn't bear to part.  And I got a cameo on Pharyngula.  Woot!  A person can ask for more than these things, but that would be outrageously greedy and overkill to boot.

Anyway.  That's my excuse for not blogging last night, and I'm sticking to it.  But I did miss you, and I felt a smidgen of guilt for depriving you of the promised mammals and a delicious serving of dumbfuckery.  It's good to be back with you, my darlings!  And now, without further ado, let us proceed.

Update: Found a pic with Ophelia and squid!


Wish I'd been there for that!  Thanks, Nysamis!

4 comments:

Suzanne said...

don't you dare feel guilty! life before blog is a fine motto

B166ER said...

That's sad that you haven't had anybody to nerd out into the wee hours with recently, but I count myself lucky to have been the one you nerded out with!

No Gods, No Masters
Cameron

CarlosT said...

What Cameron said. And by the way Cameron, we need to finish our discussion on what's a government and what isn't.

B166ER said...

@CarlosT: YES! I just have a feeling that a discussion like that has no end! Very fun and interesting, but an end? I have my doubts... XD