19 December, 2010

Cantina Quote o' The Week: E.B. White

I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve (or save) the world and a desire to enjoy (or savor) the world. This makes it hard to plan the day.

        -E.B. White

Alas, I don't know quite where this quote came from.  I just know that I love it, because I live it every day.

E.B. White, of course, was the author of Charlotte's Web, which is a good book for determining who among us is destined to grow up a sociopath or a critic.  If you didn't cry, you're probably one or the other.

He's also the White of Strunk & White fame.  He also satirized Freud.  No wonder he won the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

1 comment:

Woozle said...

Tell me about it. :-/ In my case, though, I have to add "desire to earn enough money to pay the bills" and "desire to avoid being clobbered by things which will happen if I don't start doing something about them pre-emptively last month", both of which tend to out-prioritize any "savoring".