05 December, 2010

Wupatki Wonders

I'm behind the times.  One Fly has had a gorgeous, photo-filled post on Wupatki National Monument up at his Picture Place up since November, and your own dear cantinera makes a cameo appearance. 

You geo-types will like to know that the monument's built from the sandstones of the Moenkopi Formation and the limestones of the Kaibab Formation, if I'm remembering my strata correctly.  Sometime after the new year, I plan to start an Arizona series at long last, so we'll discuss it in detail then.  Perhaps One Fly will send us a photo of a nice rock or two.

The snow-capped mountains in the background are the San Francisco Peaks, which get a mention in my post on Louis Agassiz, and I've done up a bit on Sunset Crater here

Crap in a hat.  Now I'm homesick... but it's a good kind of homesick.  Arizona's got some of the shittiest politicians and most nauseating laws in the country, but as far as her ruins and her geology, you'll hear no complaints from me.

No comments: