14 October, 2009

What a Writer Needs

Someone once asked me, "What's the most important thing a sci-fi writer needs in order to write?"

"Courage," I answered.

It takes a huge amount of courage to believe that one can write things like this, courage to push forward through the research and the writer's block and the fear and the doubt and everything else.  Courage to actually be rather than pretend, or dream, or dabble.  Courage to do the hard work, face the hard facts, and courage to make the sacrifices required.

A bit from George Keenan can also be useful here: "Heroism, the Caucasian mountaineers say, is endurance for one moment more."

And that strikes me as a pretty good definition of courage, as well.


(Cross-posted at A Slight Risk of Insanity.  Wise Readers always welcome - send an email to dhunterauthor at yahoo dot com if you want to sign on.)

2 comments:

Chris said...

I have a little book of essays by science fiction writers on how they went about writing. I found R.A. Heinlein's essay to be the most useful - if only because it is (characteristically) so practical. I can't find the essay reproduced online but the rules he offered in it are listed here:

http://www.sfwriter.com/ow05.htm

Jus' sayin'

Andre Vienne said...

Guess I'm going to have to sign up. Maybe it'll serve as motivation for the mess I'm attempting to write as well.