28 July, 2008

Pimping Out My Co-Blogger

Cam Lee, aka Chaos Lee, has hired me as his pimp. I accepted the request with alarcrity.

I've been reading his stories and listening to the evolution of his novel for well over a decade now, and it's about bloody time some of his writing goes public.

He's going to kick the collective asses of Warren Ellis, Chuck Palahniuk, and any other author you care to name whose books leave you gasping, "That was the most fucked-up thing I've ever read in my entire fucking life."

I've spent the majority of my adult life wishing I could be even a fraction of the writer he is. My work seems plodding and pedestrian compared to the constant mindfuck that spills from his pen. He brutalizes words into singing for him. Setting, mood, theme, plot and character all end up twisted like a hangman's noose in a hurricane.

Even a simple description of his day turns into something else again:

Today's been a bit of a paranoid day. When people at work seem to actually know I'm sitting at my desk and not working and looking for ales on whiskey or making voodoo dolls that not-so-coincidentally resemble certain directors at certain corporations. But anyway, I need to find thought suppressants because they've become loud. People are hearing them.

The risk here is that not only will the bastards get forewarning, but they might try and steal my brain. And I like my brain. It sponges up the whiskey my liver rejects.

See what I mean?

The above excerpt comes from Cam Lee's Chaos Hangover, his new MySpace Page, where he's posted the short story "Halo." Go read "Halo." Then go read everything else. And then go demand more.

Because as good as "Halo" is, it's only the barest tip of a fucking enormous iceberg. Trust me when I tell you it gets a lot more bizarre, dark and mindblowing.

I know. I've read. And I've never been the same.

No comments: