28 January, 2009

"Thank You, Lord, For Creating Eye-Devouring Worms"

PZ points out that Sir David Attenborough's been getting hate mail from creationists. The whole thing is full of pwn, but I especially liked this bit:

Telling the magazine that he was also asked why he did not give "credit" to the Lord, Sir David continued: "They always mean beautiful things like hummingbirds.

"I always reply by saying that I think of a little child in East Africa with a worm burrowing through his eyeball.

"The worm cannot live in any other way, except by burrowing through eyeballs.

"I find that hard to reconcile with the notion of a divine and benevolent creator."

Have I mentioned lately how much I love the British tendency for devastating understatement?

John Pieret believes Sir David is referring to this:



Let me put it to you this way: giving praise to a deity who's either this inept or this sadistic when it comes to creating all the beasts of the field etc. etc. seems really fucking dumb. And that's setting aside the fact that there's not one scintilla of evidence that even an inept, sadistic son of a bitch exists, much less an omniscient, omnipotent, omnibenevolent one.

No comments: