08 August, 2008

Friday Favorite Food

I'm hungry right now, so I'm dreaming of fajitas.

I could live on fajitas. If I had nothing other than those for the rest of my life, I'd eat happy every day.

My recipe is world-famous. I can claim this because a gentleman from New Zealand who had travelled extensively in Mexico and spent his time in America deploring the state of our Mexican food restaurants told me they were the best damned fajitas he'd ever had.

You can judge for yourself:

1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 onion, sliced
Many cloves of garlic, chopped
Generous splash o' Buffalo Jalapeno Pepper Sauce
Generous splash o' white wine
Dana's Open Secret Fajita Spice Mix
Corn tortillas
Salsa and sour cream for garnish

First, you've got to have the right spice. So what you do is, shake up a packet of Lawry's Fajita Mix, a packet of paprika, a packet of New Mexico chile powder, and a packet of garlic powder. If you can't find the stuff in packets, just layer it in a small Tupperware container. All of the layers should be about equal, maybe a little heavy on the chile powder depending on personal preference. You should end up with a nice, red-orange mix.

Now liberally dust that excellent mix over the chicken with your splash o' Buffalo Jalapeno Pepper Sauce and your splash o' white wine, and work it in. Your chicken should now be lobster red. Set it aside to soak up the goodness. Marinating an hour is the least you can do.

Sautee the onion and bell pepper. Usher the veggies aside, and sautee your chicken. Add the garlic towards the last five minutes. While you're doing that, brush your tortillas with a wee bit o' vegetable oil and heat them up in another pan. Make sure you flip frequently so they don't burn. You can tell they're done when the oil's no longer glistening.

Layer the chicken and veggies on the tortillas, and bury them under a metric ton of sour cream and salsa (or picante sauce, yum), if you're anything like me.

Damn it. Now I'm really hungry. You can torture me further by sharing your favorite food. And don't feel bad if you didn't create it - you discovered it, you enjoyed it, and that's accomplishment enough!

We'll do desserts another Friday, when I'm in the mood for culinary torture again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

[Fundamentalist] Chicken fajitas? Terrible! Fajitas cannot be chicken, that's against the entire definition of what makes a fajitas, well... fajitas.

That's like making shrimp fajitas. It's wrong, and you'll burn for it. BURN![/Fundamentalist]

Okay. I'm done. Really? Chicken? Huh. Well, I suppose I might have to try it, but chicken fajitas always seemed weird to me, and I grew up with all kinds of fajitas.

Damn subjective tastes! <.<

NRG said...

Strange, in the UK chicken is definitely the most common filling for fajitas. Been inspired by this post to put up one of my favourites at my own blog (I knew I'd end up waffling on with the instructions too much to put it in a comment)