07 July, 2009

Arizona's Stupidest State Senator

Via PZ comes news of the latest Arizona politician to make an utter ass of his/herself:

Arizona State Senator Sylvia Allen (R-Snowflake), arguing in favor of a bill to allow uranium mining north of the Grand Canyon, casually says that the earth is 6,000 years old, and therefore a little uranium mining isn't going to hurt anything.

[snip]


Outside of this fuckwit insisting (not once, but twice, in the course of 40 seconds) that the Earth is only 6,000 years old, I think my favorite part was when she said of the uranium mine, "and you'll never even know the mine was there when they're done."


You want to take this:




And replace it with this:

Midnite Mine
An otherwise scenic view is scarred by the remains of uranium mining.

By Elly Hale, EPA
Midnite Mine
Wellpinit, Washington

And tell me we'll "never even know the mine was there when they're done"? Really? Because, you see, the research I found on uranium mining in the Grand Canyon area begs to differ.

Ms. Allen, you are a dumbshit. I'm ashamed my beautiful home state contains a state senator as stupid as you, and I do hope your district wakes the fuck up and cleans up that blight ASAP.

1 comment:

Cujo359 said...

Scarred by uranium mining? There's a couple of perfectly lovely trees in that pit.

I wonder what Ms. Allen makes of the fact that the half life of uranium 238 is one of the reasons we know the earth is roughly five billion years old.

Yesterday must have been a tough day in Arizona for people who are allergic to irony.