18 August, 2009

Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease....

Ahem.

Mi-mi-mi-mi-mi.

*tap tap* Is this thing on? Pump up the bass. Thank you.

"MICHELE BACHMANN, THIS IS GOD CALLING. I WANT YOU TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT."

Talk about a political draft. In an interview with World Net Daily, Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-MN) was asked whether she would ever run for President -- and she replied that she would do it if God calls her to it:
"If I felt that's what the Lord was calling me to do, I would do it," she answered. "When I have sensed that the Lord is calling me to do something, I've said yes to it. But I will not seek a higher office if God is not calling me to do it. That's really my standard.

"If I am called to serve in that realm I would serve," she concluded, "but if I am not called, I wouldn't do it."
"NO, REALLY, MICHELE, I WANT YOU TO DO IT. I'M CALLING YOU TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT. AND I WANT YOU TO CHOOSE SARAH PALIN AS YOUR RUNNING MATE. YOU ARE TWO PEAS IN A POD."

The Democratic challenger to Rep. Michele Bachmann (R-Minn.) has ample material with which to mount a campaign -- from Bachmann's call for an investigation into anti-Americanism in Congress to her bizarre insistence that the Obama White House wants to put America on an international currency.

But in an interview with the Huffington Post, Minnesota State Sen. Tarryl Clark had a pithier message: Michelle Bachmann was Sarah Palin before Sarah Palin was Sarah Palin.

"For many in Minnesota, when Sarah Palin came on the scene it seemed like she was Alaska's Michelle Bachmann," Clark told the Huffington Post. "They seem to share some similarities."

Heh. No kidding.

Bachmann/Palin 2012 - can you just imagine the comic potential? We absolutely must set up our best voice synthesizers, practice our best imitation of Vox Dei, and give Michele a call.

(Tip o' the shot glass to Greg Sargent)

3 comments:

Woozle said...

I don't know if this is worth more than a faint chuckle, but it's what I thought of as soon as I saw the title of this post.

Cujo359 said...

These folks always seem to know when their god is telling them to do something. How do they know it isn't schizophrenia talking?

Woozle said...

Cujo: I managed to get into a prolonged conversation on that topic with a believer, and she basically said that after an extended dialogue with the voice claiming to be God, she felt reassured that it was in fact God.

I asked how she could be sure. I don't remember the exact answer, but I think it was something along the lines of: she didn't think that any entity that wasn't God could have made up the stuff that God told her.

I could probably look up the actual words -- it was on IRC.

Theory: There is so much social pressure in religious circles to Believe, to be a Believer and "hear God speaking", that if you can just once cajole yourself into thinking that you have possibly managed to do so, the social rewards for admitting this are so great that the idea of questioning that belief -- and thereby rejecting and rebuffing all that positive attention, from people who may also be close friends -- becomes almost impossible to consider.