10 August, 2009

Religion in the Northwest - Well, Lack Thereof

I knew there was a reason I love the Northwest so:

No Religious Identity

As was the case in a state-by-state analysis of the percentage of Americans saying religion is important in their daily lives, the states with the highest percentage of adult residents saying they have no religious identity are in the Northeast and the Northwest regions of the country.

sklhw

Oregon tops the list, with 25% of its residents claiming no particular religious identity, followed closely by Vermont at 24%. Other states with at least 20% "no religion" are Washington, Alaska, New Hampshire, Hawaii, and Maine.

Okay, so I love the scenery, the food, and the cultural life, too. But knowing that nearly 1 in 4 of us claims no religion is pretty awesome.

It's great to be godless!

3 comments:

Cujo359 said...

To me, the real surprises are Nevada and Colorado. I hadn't expected they'd be anywhere near that non-religious.

Anonymous said...

Maybe that's why Caribou Barbie ran away- she found she could see an Atheist. Hold on Todd, Track*, Teen Mum, Baby, Grandchild- OMFSM- if 20% are Atheist then one of these MUST be!!!11!!
----
* 'Because I like atheletics'- look lady, I didn't call my kid Cunnilingus for a reason- IT ISN'T A PROPER NAME!

Cujo359 said...

* Oh, I dunno, lasthussar, it sounds kinda classical, doesn't it? Greek, maybe.